Saturday, 2 February 2013

Stretching paper

It's been some time since I posted! I've been so busy - with painting, commissions, free work and partying in the Riviera sunshine!! By the way, if you are interested in regular posts about watercolours, I also write on the 'Hangar Blog', short stories with lots of pictures of my painting group. Have a look on http://www.hangarart.blogspot.com!
 
Below are a couple of pictures in which I stretch my paper. Our Aquarellista team has been watching a film about a Polish artist living in France (Ewa Karpinska, more about her later) who works super-wet in super-wet. It was interesting in many respects, one of them that she stretches her wet paper around frames (like linen) with staples. That looks wonderful and I was considering it - but took that back when I decided to use the frame of an old oïl painting: to remove the staples out of the frame was a hell of a job, so what if you have to do that every time when you muck up a painting? Or just every time when you are finished... and you can't let the staples in because after a while it will be all metal... I decided that that way is suitable for very very big paintings or for very carefully planned projects where it is not expected that anything will go wrong

Alexander Cresswell -more about him later- staples his 3m paintings to some sort of table

So 'my' method, stretching to a board with paper tape is no less efficient, especially if you want to experiment, or when there's a big chance that things go wrong, or if you stretch for groups, like me... Here's how I do it:

The (still wrapped) roll of Arches Torchon paper, 1.13m wide and 9m long... 
...paper unwrapped and ready to be cut...
 
 ...sheets straightened, soaking in the tub with cold water...
...sheets hanging...

...cut to size...

...press out the water and stretch at the same time... 
...cut the sticky paper tape... 
 ...one paper stretched...

...boards with stretched paper drying...
 
See the Hangar Blog to check out what's done with them :)

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

your remarks and observations to a post are most welcome! Please start typing here :)